Tuesday, February 6, 2007

OCTOBER 2006


OCTOBER 2006

Well, Todd surprised me by telling me he is ready to go to Haiti to meet Dukens! We're not worldwide travellers so this is a big thing for us!

We were very nervous for him to travel as we later found out that Haiti is the 5th most dangerous place to travel! There are many kidnappings, etc. White people are often targeted since they are believed to be rich.

Here is an update from Todd's trip...
I have talked to Todd three times since he's been there. It's $3 a minute so they are quick conversations! He said they went straight to the orphanage from the airport and it was very scary. At the airport, they are grabbing your luggage demanding tips and very chaotic. He said he was really nervous when he was there and the ride to orphanage wasn't much fun either. They pretty much stand out like a sore thumb! When he got to the O he met one of the nannies who is Caleb's aunt. When she realized Todd was there to see him she was hugging him and going crazy. (She's reallly friendly-doesn't know any english but was talking away like Todd understood). Ha. Caleb was so excited to see him. They were supposed to tell him Todd was coming. I don't think they stayed very long, they needed to get back to the hotel well before dark. They picked up the kids and they sat on their lap back.

He said Caleb is a great, adorable kid. He loves to be cuddled and loved all the little toys Todd took for him. He is calm and obedient. He also liked looking through the pics Todd took and pointing out Kelsey.
I talked to Caleb on the phone for a minute, Todd was telling him what to say in English. It was so cute.

Caleb has a cold which is not uncommon. Once one kid gets sick they all have it. So, I don't think he feels the best. Luckily, they were prepared and brought cold med. for the kids. So, Caleb went to sleep early the first night. He was kicking Todd all night and squirming around. Probably a combination of not knowing where he was with all of these new people, etc and the cold. Once Todd would snuggle up to him we would fall right back asleep. So, I guess even if he is sick that Todd is there to cuddle with him. I think of how Kelsey is when she doesn't feel good and just wants to be cuddled. I'm sure they don't get a lot of that at the O. Too many kids and not enough nannies.

The rest of the people were going back to the O yesterday but Todd just stayed in the hotel with him. I don't think he wanted to take him back out since he had been sick and wasn't too keen on riding in the van again.

Todd sounded worn out after his big day of traveling and meeting Caleb. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Oh, I can't wait to hear every single detail.

Todd was hoping to meet his mom so we could ask her a bunch of questions. But we found out, she lives very far away. She's blind in one eye for unknown reasons and has never had medical treatment for it.
His dad passed away. How sad. Again, no medical treatment for him either. That was about all we were able to find out so far.

Tomorrow they will take the kids back. I'm sure that will be sad to leave him. I think this will make Caleb's adjustment easier once he is here. He will have already bonded with Todd.

I miss Todd terribly and can't wait for him to get back to the US. I'm sure he is dreading the part back to airport and the luggage situation but once that is over he should have a pretty easy trip back. He will be back Monday night around 9pm.

I'll fill you in more when we he gets home.
~Jennifer

Well, Todd is home safe and sound now. He had an incredible trip. At times, it was very, very scary. The whole luggage ordeal at the Port au Prince airport was not much fun to go through both times. His flight was delayed 2 hours last night. He was glad to be home though. He said it was an emotionally exhausting day as he had to say goodbye to Caleb not knowing when he would see him again. It was terrible for him to say goodbye. Luckily, Caleb didn't quite understand, so going to the O for him was normal. Plus, he got to show off all of his new stuff. He was mobbed as he walked in and all the kids wanted to see and hear everything Caleb did at the hotel.

Todd had given him a Buzz Lightyear backpack when he first got there. Caleb thought it was the coolest thing ever and wore it everywhere and wouldn't take it off.
So, I guess he's not used to Playdoh and Todd caught him eating it so he had to put that up. He loved all of his cars. He would be excited and called everything that had wheels "machine." Todd was able to pick up the Nascar race on tv. Caleb was so excited and was yelling at the tv, "machine! machine!". Todd was happy to hear the voice of a race fan!

The hotel was beautiful and probably the nicest Todd has stayed in. They mostly stayed in the hotel except for the trip downstairs to eat. Caleb readily ate up hotdogs, pizza and Chef Boyardee Ravoli. Much different than his usual rice, beans and oil that he eats for everymeal. He wasn't crazy about the fruit snacks though.

All the kids freaked out when they saw a little lizard in the shower one morning. Luckily, for the lizard Todd caught him and released him outside. Caleb loved his baths. (Better than the concrete square at the orphanage.)
Caleb only had one temper tantrum over the whole weekend which is pretty good considering the circumstances. It was over a sippy cup that Fan Fan (another little girl) had and he wanted it!

Todd was able to pick up some souveneirs for him to have later on his birthdays, etc. I'm so glad he was able to go but also VERY glad for him to get home!!! Kelsey missed him sooo much and made him a welcome home sign.


No comments: